Thursday 14 August 2014

What does "engravitation" mean? Why the capitals?

I refer you Humpty Dumpty's opinion, quoted on the preamble page (see here).  The meaning intended by the character who uses it is obvious when the word appears in the story.  This occurs quite late in the book, and if it's all you've been waiting for you will be disappointed.  You have been warned.

When a secondary meaning made itself known to me some time after I wrote that scene, I knew immediately that I had found my title.  I added a line to the book to suggest that at least one character has spotted this secondary meaning, but it works well enough without.  The warning above applies here too.

I nearly always write it in all-capitals because I'm talking about the book, and to me, it doesn't look right any other way.  Where it appears in the book, of course, it's all lower-case just as in the question posed above.  If my use of all-caps offends your sense of typography, I completely understand and sympathise, but I'm not changing it.  Blame marketing (or Marketing).

No comments:

Post a Comment